Gender, Disasters and Conflicts in South Asia
Gender, Disasters and Conflicts in South Asia: A Trainers Manual
We are pleased to announce our new publication Gender, Disasters and Conflicts in South Asia : A Trainer’s Manual by Ranjani K Murthy & Mercy Kappen, 144 pages, Landscape, Rs.250/- .
This is the third in the series of manuals published by Visthar. The earlier ones were on (1) Gender, Poverty and Rights (2) Institutionalizing Gender within Organizations and Programmes. Both were received well and are being used extensively by trainers in South Asia.
The manual on Gender, Disasters and Conflicts in South Asia seeks to strengthen trainers’ understanding of the links between gender, disasters and conflicts, skills to train participants to analyze policies from a gender lens, and to engender the interventions of their own organization.. It is hoped that the manual would contribute to more gender aware practices on the part of activists, grass-roots NGOs, INGOs, government and donors who take part in training programs which use this manual.
The manual is structured into six modules:
• Overview of disasters and conflicts in south Asia
• Relating gender concepts to disasters and conflicts
• Gender, social relations, conflicts and disasters
• International standards on disasters and conflicts from gender lens
• South Asian governments’ disaster and peace policies from a gender lens
• Organisation level strategies on gender, disaster or/and conflict
Each module consists of one to three sessions. The outline of each session includes:
• Objectives of the sessions
• Alternative training methodologies
• Approximate time required for different methodologies
• Materials required for each methodology
• Handouts on key discussion points
• Annexes on exercises and recording sheets
• List of essential reading for participants and facilitators